Private Ernest Henry Charles Payne

 

Ernest Henry Charles Payne was born in the last months of 1897 at Bradgate Road, Catford, London, the last of three children of cook William John Payne and his wife Clara Elizabeth (nee Tubby). By the time of the 1911 Census he was living with his parents and a sister at 36 Bowness Road, Catford.

Payne was one of 56 men from various English yeomanry regiments who were compulsorily transferred to the Corps of Hussars (at cavalry rates of pay) on 11 or 12 September 1918 – he was issued regimental number 81218.

On 12 September 1918 they embarked at Folkestone for Boulogne, where they were posted to the 1st North Irish Horse (V Corps Cyclist) Regiment. They joined the regiment in the field on or soon after 18 September, and were assigned to A, D and E Squadrons, joining in the fighting during the Advance to Victory offensive in the final weeks of the war.

In the first half of 1919 Payne was one of twelve North Irish Horse cyclists who transferred to the Army Cyclist Corps (No.14823). He was probably posted to the 4th Cyclist Battalion at Rolsdorf, part of the Army of Occupation on the Rhine.

Following his discharge, Payne worked in London as a shop assistant. On 1 September 1921 he re-enlisted, serving as a driver in the Royal Artillery territorial force until he was discharged on 8 March 1923.

 

Payne's medals

 

Medal images Copyright © Phillip Tardif with all rights reserved as set out in this Use of Material policy.