Poppy In memoriam Poppy

Bouchoir New British Cemetery

 

 

The village of Bouchoir passed into German hands on 27 March 1918 but was recovered by the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade on 9 August 1918. The New British Cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought there from several small Commonwealth cemeteries and from the battlefields round Bouchoir and south of the village. Almost all date from March, April or August 1918 The cemetery now contains 763 burials and commemorations of the First World War. Some 231 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to five casualties known or believed to be buried among them.

One man of the North Irish Horse, Private William Biggart, may be buried here, his grave identified as that of an unknown British soldier. The location of the grave is shown on the CWGC cemetery plan below.

 

 

 

Images sourced from the Remembering the Fallen website. Information and cemetery plan sourced from Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org.