Poppy In memoriam Poppy

Caudry British Cemetery

 

Caudry

 

Caudry British Cemetery, Nord, France. Caudry town was the scene of part of the Battle of Le Cateau on the 26th August 1914, and from that date it remained in German hands until the 10th October 1918, when it was captured by the 37th Division. It had been a German centre for medical units, and during October 1918 and the following five months the 21st, 3rd, 19th and 49th Casualty Clearing Stations passed through it. The British Cemetery (originally called the German Cemetery Extension) was begun in October 1918 by the New Zealand Division and carried on by the Casualty Clearing Stations. It was completed after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the German Cemetery and from Audencourt British Cemetery. There are now over 700, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.

One man of the North Irish Horse, Private J. Johnston, is buried here. The location of his grave is shown on the CWGC cemetery plan below.

Image kindly provided by Pierre Vandervelden from his website www.inmemories.com. Information and cemetery plan sourced from Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org.

 

Caudry