Poppy In memoriam Poppy

Fins New British Cemetery

 

Fins 1

 

Fins New British Cemetery, Sorel-le-Grand, France. The first British burials at Fins were carried out in the Churchyard and the Churchyard Extension, and the New British Cemetery was not begun until July 1917. It was used by fighting units and Field Ambulances until March 1918, when it comprised about 590 graves. It was then used by the Germans, who added 255 burials, including 26 British. In September and October 1918, about 73 British soldiers were buried here. After the Armistice 591 graves were concentrated here from Fins Churchyard Extension and other cemeteries and from the surrounding battlefields. There are now 1289, First World War casualties commemorated in this site. Of these 208 are unidentified, and special memorials are erected to nine soldiers from the United Kingdom who are believed to be buried among them.

Two men of the North Irish Horse, Lance Corporal J. McSparron and Rifleman W. Nixon, are buried here. The location of their graves is shown on the CWGC cemetery plan on this page.

 

Fins 2

 

Fins 3

 

Information and cemetery plan sourced from Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org. Images kindly provided by Richard Evans. See his website Nelson, Glamorgan and the Great War http://www.nelson-ww1-memorial.org.uk.