Poppy In memoriam Poppy

Foncquevillers Military Cemetery

 

Foncquevillers 1

 

Foncquevillers Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. In 1915 and 1916 the Allied front line ran between Foncquevillers and Gommecourt. The cemetery was begun by French troops before being taken over by Commonweatlh forces. It remained in use by units and field ambulances until March 1917, the burials in July 1916 being especially numerous. The cemetery was used again from March to August 1918, when the German offensive brought the front line back to nearly the old position. Seventy-four graves were brought in after the Armistice from the battlefields of 1916 and 1918. The cemetery contains 648 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. Some 53 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to two casualties known to be buried among them.

One man of the North Irish Horse, Private W. J. Finlay, is buried here. The location of his grave is shown on the CWGC cemetery plan below.

 

Foncquevillers 2

 

Image Copyright © Phillip Tardif with all rights reserved as set out in this Use of Material policy. Information and cemetery plan sourced from Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org.