Poppy In memoriam Poppy

Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Military Cemetery

 

Wulverghem

 

Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Military Cemetery, Heuvelland, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, was begun in December 1914 by four battalions of the 5th Division and was called at first Wulverghem Dressing Station Cemetery. It was used until June 1917, and again in September and October 1918, and at the Armistice it contained 162 graves. Graves were then brought in from the surrounding battlefields and smaller burial grounds. Within these later plots almost the whole period of the war is represented, in particular the defence of the Kemmel front in April 1918 and the final advance of September 1918. There are now 1,010 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. Some 352 of the burials are unidentified, but there are special memorials to two casualties believed to be buried among them and to seven others buried elsewhere whose graves were destroyed in the fighting of 1917-18.

Two men of the North Irish Horse, Major H. Waring and Private J. A. Bell, are buried here. The location of their graves is shown on the CWGC cemetery plan below.

 

Wulverghem

 

Image kindly provided by Pierre Vandervelden from his website www.inmemories.com. Information and cemetery plan sourced from Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org.