Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant Joseph Chambers

 

 

Joseph Chambers was born on 26 March 1880 at Bishop Street, Londonderry, the third of ten children of baker Joseph Chambers, a prominent local member of the Orange Order and Apprentice Boys, and his wife Mary Jane (formerly Pigott).

On the outbreak of the Boer War Chambers volunteered for service, joining the 60th (North Irish Horse) Company, 17th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry (No.30590).

Following his returning to Ireland at the end of the war he joined the North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry, transferring to its successor, the North Irish Horse, when it was established on 6 July 1908. He was assigned No.14 on the new regiment's roll, serving in B Squadron (Londonderry).

Prior to the war Chambers worked as a post office clerk, a newspaper article in 1913 stating that he was renting his widowed mother's house in Abercorn Road and running a sub-post office from the premises.

In April 1914 he was one of four North Irish Horsemen awarded a Special Reserve Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Chambers embarked for France in 1916 or early 1917, probably with a reinforcement draft for the 2nd North Irish Horse Regiment.

In September 1917 the 2nd Regiment was dismounted and most of its officers and men were transferred to the 9th (Service) Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers – which was re-named the 9th (North Irish Horse) Battalion. Chambers, like the majority of the men, was transferred on 20 September. He was given a new regimental number – 41522 – and posted to B Company with the rank of sergeant.

Chambers was listed as missing following the 9th Battalion's retreat from St Quentin in the German Spring Offensive of March 1918. However he rejoined on 3 April.

No other records of his service in the war have been located.

 

The image shows Chambers in 1912. The full picture can be seen here.