Lance Corporal William David Chambers

 

William David Chambers was born on 11 April 1893 at Downshire Place, Banbridge, County Down, the third of ten children of labourer (later car driver) Thomas Chambers and his wife Jessie (née Kidd). By the time of the 1911 Census he was living in Dromore Street, Banbridge, with his parents and eight surviving siblings and working as a weaver.

Chambers enlisted in the North Irish Horse on 11 January 1915 (No.1394 – later Corps of Hussars No.71369). He trained at the regiment's Antrim reserve depot before embarking for France sometime between 1916 and 1918, possibly with E Squadron on 11 January 1916.

In May 1916 E Squadron came together with A and D Squadrons to form the 1st North Irish Horse Regiment, serving as corps cavalry to VII, XIX, then V Corps until February-March 1918, when the regiment was dismounted and converted to a cyclist unit, serving as corps cyclists to V Corps until the end of the war.

Chambers remained with the regiment throughout the war. He was wounded in the right foot in the early stages of the Advance to Victory offensive in late August 1918. Admitted to No.12 General Hospital at Rouen, the wound was assessed as 'mild'.

On 14 March 1919 Chambers was demobilised and transferred to Class Z, Army Reserve.

After the war Chambers returned to Banbridge, where on 28 June 1922, he married Sarah Gault. He served in the Royal Ulster Constabulary until his retirement, when he lived at 21 Harryville Terrace, Portstewart, County Londonderry. He died at Ratheane Hospital, Coleraine, on 14 June 1957, and was buried in the Seapatrick Churchyard, Banbridge.

 

Chambers' younger brother Thomas Chambers also served in the North Irish Horse during the war.