Lance Corporal William Frederick Jackson

 

William Frederick Jackson was born on 3 April 1888 at Loughgall, County Armagh, the sixth of eight children of grocer (later merchant) George Jackson and his wife Martha Lena (nee Best). William's mother died of tuberculosis when he was just eight years old. By 1911 he was living with his father and four siblings at Loughgall and working as a shop assistant.

Jackson enlisted in the North Irish Horse on 19 October 1912 (No.749 – later Corps of Hussars No.71091). One record from the time gives his occupation as farmer, another later record shows him as a chemist.

Jackson was promoted to lance corporal on 7 March 1914. He embarked for France with C Squadron on 20 August that year, seeing action on the retreat from Mons and advance to the Aisne. On 8 January 1915 at Hazebrouck he was badly injured, suffering a fractured right leg and injured foot. He was evacuated to England where he was admitted to hospital. After the injuries healed he returned to duty at the North Irish Horse reserve depot at Antrim.

Jackson returned to France on 3 January 1916, where he was posted to C Squadron. On 25 April 1917 he reverted to the rank of private at his own request.

A month later he fell ill with pleurisy. He was evacuated to England, where he was admitted to the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary for treatment. Following convalescence at the Red Cross Hospital, Darley Dale, and at Ballykinlar, on 6 September he was found fit enough to return to duty (Category A3).

It is likely that Jackson spent the remainder of the war at the North Irish Horse Antrim depot.

On 25 October 1917 he married farmer's daughter Alice Victoria Maud Davison at the Church of Ireland Parish Church, Annaghmore, County Armagh.

Jackson was transferred to Class Z, Army Reserve, on 11 February 1919.

It is likely that he was the William Frederick Jackson, of 31 Donaghadee Road, Bangor, County Down, retired pharmaceutical chemist, who died on 13 December 1961 at Bangor Hospital.