Captain Arthur Charles Nugent

 

Arthur Charles Nugent was born on 12 April 1894 in Bedfont, Hounslow, Middlesex, the eldest son of Royal Fusiliers officer Arthur Nugent and his wife Elizabeth (formerly Douglas). He was grandson of Major-General Charles Lavallin Nugent.

The family residence was Ballyedmond, Killown, County Down.

Nugent was educated at Shrewsbury School, where he was a cadet in the school's Officer Training Corps. On 19 March 1913 he was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in the North Irish Horse.

He was promoted to lieutenant on 12 December 1914, and six days later embarked for France with a draft of eighteen men – the first reinforcement draft sent to the North Irish Horse squadrons on active service.

On 6 February 1915 Nugent transferred to the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers, with the rank of 2nd lieutenant. Soon after he was reported as being wounded, but it was not severe and he was able to rejoin his regiment at the front.

He was mentioned in Field-Marshal French's despatch of 15 October 1915. On 1 July 1917 he was promoted to lieutenant.

From 7 April to 21 May 1918 Nugent commanded a squadron of the 5th Lancers, holding the rank of acting captain for that period.

On 2 October 1919 he resigned his commission in the 5th Lancers, but at the same time became a lieutenant in the regiment's General Reserve. In November 1922, when the 16th and 5th Lancers merged to become the 16th/5th Lancers, Nugent transferred into the new regiment.

During the Irish War of Independence Nugent was held up in his home by rebels looking to seize UVF arms and ammunition (see article below).

In 1930 he served as High Sheriff of County Down.

On the outbreak of war in 1939 Nugent was recalled to service. On 1 March 1940 he was appointed a lieutenant in the Pioneer Corps. After the war, having attained the age limit of liability from recall, on 23 October 1945 he relinquished his commission and was granted the honorary rank of captain.

In 1948 he changed his name by deed poll to Arthur Charles Douglas-Nugent. He died in Belfast on 18 September 1963.

 

Belfast News-Letter 22 May 1915

 

Belfast News-Letter 3 January 1916

 

Larne Times and Weekly Telegraph, 17 May 1919