Lieutenant James Malcolm Wherry

 

 

James Malcolm Wherry was born on 25 September 1887 at Ballyreagh, Tempo, County Fermanagh, son of farmer Archibald Wherry and his wife Annie (formerly Hunter).

In October 1906 he enlisted in the North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry, remaining with the regiment when it was re-formed as the North Irish Horse in July 1908. He left at the expiration of his four years service.

However two months later, on 14 December 1910, he re-enlisted at Lisbellaw (No.558). He was promoted to lance corporal on 7 April 1911, lance sergeant on 27 March 1912, sergeant on 22 May 1912, and squadron quartermaster sergeant on 16 August 1913.

On 17 August 1914 he embarked for France with A Squadron of the North Irish Horse, seeing action in the Retreat from Mons and Advance to the Aisne.

In May 1916, when A Squadron joined with D and E Squadrons to form the 1st North Irish Horse Regiment, Wherry was made acting regimental quartermaster sergeant. However he reverted to his previous rank on 26 June.

At the beginning of 1917 Wherry was awarded a Special Reserve Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

On 26 March 1917 he applied for a commission and the following month returned to England for officer training. He reported for duty at No.1 Cavalry Cadet School at Netheravon on 1 September.

On 23 February 1918 Wherry was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant and posted to the North Irish Horse reserve at Antrim. He remained there for the duration of the war.

Wherry was demobilised on 25 July 1919 and promoted to lieutenant the following month. He relinquished his commission on 1 April 1920.

 

The picture above shows Wherry with the North Irish Horse sergeants' mess in 1912. It can be seen in its full context here.