Second Lieutenant Simon Logan, MC & Bar


Simon Logan was born on 6 July 1888 at Holywood, Belfast, County Down, son of farmer and coal merchant William John Logan and his wife Margaret Jane (nee Dunwoody).

Before the war Logan worked as a compositor and foreman printer at the Lisburn Standard.

He enlisted in the North Irish Horse in July or August 1916 (No.2230) and during 1917 was sent to France as a reinforcement for one of the two regiments there. He rose to the rank of corporal.

In September 1917 the 2nd North Irish Horse Regiment was dismounted and most of its men, together with some from the 1st NIH Regiment, were transferred to the 9th (Service) Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers (which was subsequently renamed the 9th (North Irish Horse) Battalion). Like the majority, Logan was transferred on 20 September and joined the battalion in the field at Ruyaulcourt five days later. He was issued regimental number 41358.

Soon after, Logan applied for a commission and was sent to the UK for officer cadet training. He became a 2nd lieutenant on 26 June 1918. Initially posted to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Logan was shortly afterwards posted to the 1st Battalion and sent to join it in France. He was then attached to the 9th (North Irish Horse) Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers, reporting for duty on 14 September.

Logan was awarded a Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry during the fighting near Dadizeele in Belgium on 30 September, his medal citation reading:

... while leading his platoon in an attack on an enemy strong point, which was captured, and a number of the enemy killed or taken prisoner. Later, when his company commander was mortally wounded and lying in the open, he went out under withering fire and brought him in.

During the crossing of the Lys Canal at Courtrai on 16 October Logan's actions again won praise – he was awarded a Bar to his Military Cross. The citation reads:

At Courtrai, on 16th October, 1918, he was ordered to take his platoon, under very heavy machine-gun fire, across a pontoon bridge thrown across the Lys Canal to reinforce a party who had already crossed. While crossing, the bridge was destroyed but he crossed on a pontoon boat, and for 4 hours maintained his position on the enemy side of the canal and was of the greatest assistance to the bridgehead party. he showed cool courage and able leadership.

The battalion diary for the day stated:

At 14.00 under cover of smoke screen from rifle smoke bombs, and artillery supported by trench mortars a section of R.E's bridged the river and 2/Lieuts Steele & Logan with party 30 OR (D Coy) crossed and took up positions at H.25.d.30.50 on the main street and near the bank to cover the bridge. The smoke screen did not last long enough, however, and the bridge being detected, came under m.g. fire from railway about H.31.a.80.60 and was partly destroyed. The R.E. section had 3 officer and about a dozen casualties and were unable to complete the bridge leaving our men cut off on the opposite side. This party knocked out two m.g.s and captured six prisoners. At 6 p.m. under cover of night it withdrew coming across by one of the boats.

Logan was demobilised in 1919 and relinquished his commission on 1 September 1921.

During World War 2 he re-joined the army, serving as a lieutenant in the Royal Irish Fusiliers.